This time last year a few of us at Skican were packing for ski trips to the southern hemisphere. I was heading to New Zealand to ski The Remarkables, Coronet Peak, Treble Cone, and Cardrona, and Catherine Pichot, our Montreal-based, French-born, international-ski-destination-expert was heading to Portillo, Chile.
This summer, like many of you, we have found that instead of venturing outside of Canada, border closures and travel restrictions have meant staying closer to home, exploring our own backyard. In Canada, we are fortunate to have a “backyard” that is both varied and exceptionally stunning. When it comes to skiing, we can access some of the best skiing in the world within our own borders.
Which brings me to the big, hairy, pink elephant in the room, a question that we know many of you are pondering: “Will skiing be possible this winter?”
Alas, we cannot speak to things beyond our control, however, we can share a few of our thoughts regarding next winter, skiing, and travel.
- We are huge fans (of yours). For those of you that have joined us on our hosted Ski Escape trips, we have greatly valued skiing with you. We love having you as co-conspirators to dream up new ski adventures. Without you, we would not be able to constantly indulge in ski-dreaming. Now that we have professed our adoration, we need you to stay safe. That is our #1 priority. If it means that you do not feel comfortable traveling to a mountain destination this year, we will be ready for you when you are ready to travel with Skican again.
- We have lots of information to share with you on how the ski industry is responding to the pandemic. We have been extremely impressed with how all of our partners have thrown themselves into creatively re-imagining the mountain ski experience in a way that will keep you as safe as possible. Every aspect of the trip, from checking in at the airport, transferring to the resort, checking in at your hotel, and getting started on the mountain has been revisited. In an effort to share this information, we launched the Dockside Chats – an online panel discussion with experts in the Canadian ski and travel industry. You can view the video from first Chat in July here and the FAQ or register for the next Dockside Chat August 20 to hear more about the industry’s response to the pandemic.
- Uncertainty is uncomfortable and stressful, and we are all getting a mountain-sized dose of it these days. A great antidote to this is having something to look forward to. For those of you that are interested in pursuing a mountain ski vacation, we have launched a flexible payment and cancellation policy to help manage the uncertainty that you are faced with – and give you something joyful to anticipate. The Worry-Free Booking Policy allows you to take advantage of early booking discounts, locking in your preferred travel dates and accommodation types, by booking now, with the ability to cancel – no questions asked – until 40 days prior to departure. More info here.
- #UpwithCanada. Did we mention yet how lucky we are to live in Canada, where we have access to world-class resorts? Assuming that safe travel is possible, we believe this year will provide incredible value for Canadian skiers. Sunday through Thursday, when the weekend traffic leaves the resort, is the time to consider. Keep an eye on our Ski Escapes and Specials page over the next month. Special savings will be available prior to August 31.
- We have put together an itty bitty survey to help us help you. You can access it here.
We are big fans of yours. We’ve laughed with you, shared après with you, and sometimes navigated difficult terrain with you – and this pandemic sure is difficult! We are clear that our role over the next year is to provide you with the most up to date information we have to allow you to make informed travel decisions.
There will be a ski future for the restless traveler like you and me, we are still anticipating the return of FUN!, sport and freedom. At Skican we are committed to pulling through to the other side of this situation successfully with your support.
Thanks for listening and talk soon,